New CNC

Computer Numerical Control

New CNC

Postby rgulley » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Bob and I went to Woodcraft in Chattanooga yesterday and picked up my new CNC. I saw it last Saturday when Geoff and I attended a CNC Demo Day. It's an Axiom AR4 Pro. It's very similar to the Powermatic cnc, which is made by Axiom I think. More to com as I get familiar with the control software, but so far I'm very pleased.

BTW, the Shark CNC I replaced will be for sale in a couple weeks when I get things cleaned up and organized.

BTW#2, the lady that ran the demo was Debra Crane. She's the lady that put on a superb scroll saw program at our club years ago. She said she or David Sapp could do a cnc demo for the club sometime.
rgulley
Site Admin

Re: New CNC

Postby loyd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Are you going into business with all those high powered machines? :lol: :lol: When are we going to have a shop tour?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 am

No plans or intentions of a full ROI. I just like working with quality tools. I had a hard time making the decision to purchase. Strangely enough, my wife talked me into it. She asked what else I was planning on spending the money on - a nursing home maybe? So I bought it.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:00 am

She is a wise lady! Good choice. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 am

Hmmm! Lessee now! A nursing home versus a new CNC. I see the situation quite clearly now. Thanks! 8-)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:38 am

That looks like a great machine Richard. I have been looking at their CNC's for a couple of years but just don't have room. Did you get any of the nice accessories they offer for it?
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby rgulley » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:28 am

This is last year's model and is not 4th axis ready. It would be $1K to upgrade + the cost of headstock and tailstock, so that's prolly not gonna happen. There is also a 4.2w laser attachment, but my understanding is the software does not support variable power - just on or off. That would severely limit/prevent using the laser for grayscale.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 am

I saw a video a few days ago where a guy was using a rotary 4th axis and just plugged it into his X axis. seemed to work well after getting it lined up in X before switching to the rotary.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Return to CNC