A new twist on Phishing

Post your clean jokes and stories here. The keyword is CLEAN.

A new twist on Phishing

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 am

This is a bit long but please read:
We’ve always been told not to click on a link in an email unless we know the sender personally. BUT then we found out that a hacker can spoof an email address and send emails in that person’s name, so that rule became obsolete to the point that you can’t just click on a link from someone you know anymore because the email may not be from them. So the new rule became “don’t click on a link in any email” period.
Well, today another twist came to me. It had an attachment in PDF which is supposed to be a secure file, but when I opened the attachment it said that I needed to click on the link provided in the PDF to get the message. Of course, I DID NOT CLICK because there was no way that the person supposedly sending the me the email in the first place would do that.
Instead I sent a new email to the supposed sender asking what he knew. No surprise there: he didn’t send it.
Of course, I would think that everyone would be skeptical of this sort of scam but thought it needed to be brought to everyone’s attention.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: A new twist on Phishing

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:37 am

Yes they are getting to the point I don't like email with any links. You just never know!!! :cry:
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Return to Off Topic