Vectric V-Carve Pro ver 9

Computer Numerical Control

Vectric V-Carve Pro ver 9

Postby loyd » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:44 pm

One of the most powerful things that can be done with the version 9 is shown on minutes 32 to 40 on this youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Eg6CzBmQE

There's a tutorial on the Vectric site that talks to each of the modes but I found this to be more informative than the tutorials which are 'how to' versus feature enlightening.

If time would permit, one could do a lot of very fancy stuff with that program. I haven't really concentrated on version 9 but intend to soon. I can never find that 'rountuit' when I need it.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Vectric V-Carve Pro ver 9

Postby loyd » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Well, I had to try this out. I made a backboard for a wall shelf 15" long and 5 or so inches wide using 3/4" thick walnut. The 3d design was done using the technique in the previous post. It's amazing to me how they can merge these figures together and come up with a 3d toolpath from the merged objects while ignoring the overlapped parts. This design used 1/8" Bull Nose bit to rough the figure and a 1/16" Bull Nose to do the finish. It has a very tight stepover [I forget what it was] but the result is pretty detailed.

I plan to use a ogee bit on the router table to shape the curved edges. It's quicker. :roll: ;)

wall shelf backboard.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Looks like you are getting fancy now Loyd. I think you have got the hang of the Pro 9!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 pm

There's so much that program offers if you had the time to learn the tricks. Only thing is: I like to turn too. I also like to make furniture and boxes. So many things to do. So little time. It's the government's fault you know. :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 am

I understand your dilemma Loyd. When I retired, I planned to spend one half day a week on the Aspire tutorials. that's been a year and a half and I haven't got it done yet. Sigh.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 am

Sigh indeed! Ross once alluded to the concept of the clock moving faster as you age. I thought he may have gone a bit, well, demented. Now, either I've joined his ranks, or maybe . . . well, demented. Or maybe both. But I'm hopeful. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:13 am

When you retire the hours get shorter and the honey-do list gets much longer!!! :(
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:46 pm

IMG_20180706_203759_391.jpg

The final with a couple coats of Watco dark walnut, two coats of lacquer sanding sealer [rubbed out] and 3 coats of satin lacquer followed by black shoe polish and then a coat of Minwax.

The 3d image comes out OK but could have a little more depth seeing as it'll be in the shade of the shelf above. The image is set up using Vcarve 9.0 and merging the images as discussed above. I like it and it may become the sisters' Christmas present.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 am

Now that came out down right beautiful Loyd. You will have a very happy sister!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Aw shucks Sid!
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Next

Return to CNC