Grips

Computer Numerical Control

Grips

Postby loyd » Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 pm

I've been requested to use my Shark to make grips for a 45cal automatic handgun. If they were flat it would be a breeze, but they have a crown and a few places where the surface has a shallow dip. Anyone know of a model for this sort of thing? Any suggestions?

I don't know why anyone needs a cannon like this but that's what seems to light my client's candle; so to speak!

handle (Copy).jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Grips

Postby sid_matheny » Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 pm

This might be of some help if they are for a model 1911. That is what they look like.

https://grabcad.com/library/1911-grips
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 am

I down loaded the files for this. It looks like the right ones. I don't know yet if my program will open them but I'll give it a shot later today. Thanks.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue May 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Since he already has a set of grips, what does he want different in a set you make him? I don't know if new version of vcarve has this feature, but Aspire has a way to project vectors to a 3D surface. So you could do the checkering and medallion on the picture by using the 3D model that Sid referenced.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue May 22, 2018 6:36 pm

The client wants his own initials and logo on the grips but I'm getting discouraged. I have Vcarve2.0 but it won't open the IGS files from the site that Sid identified. I downloaded so called STL files from another site [forgot the name] but they wouldn't unpack from the Zip file. Still looking. What I need is a blank grip with the outline, holes, and curve that will open in V-carve 2 and let me mess around with the details, but I'm not too sure I can do that and get what he wants.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue May 22, 2018 9:19 pm

I ran across this but don't know it will help you.

Your computer thinks .stl means one thing, v-carve thinks differently.

Just download it to your computer, and unzip it if it's in a zipped file. Then, instead of trying to open it by double-clicking, just open v-carve, create new file, import component/3d model, and select the .stl file.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am

Tried that but didn't work. I think the STL was corrupt. IGS just isn't in the vcarve repertoire :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 am

A further note on the project: Version 2 of V-carve will let you take a 3d file and modify it by changing parameters. It doesn't allow you to create 3d tool paths. You can run the 3d tool paths plus whatever 2d tool paths you create, however. So the idea was to personalize the grip pretending that the surface was flat but carving it deep enough to have it show on the curved surfaces. After looking at the sites found on web search including the ones Sid suggested, I concluded that the best I could expect is a kludge that neither looked good nor felt good to the 'marksman' using the weapon. I've informed the client of that conclusion and that our time may be better used elsewhere; like the bed for my great grandson who just turned 2 and needs accommodation for the need for his new found freedom. Since I made the crib, they feel that I may be able to make the bed to replace it. :)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC