production work

Any woodworking not in the following categories

Re: production work

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks, Sid. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:32 pm

This is kind of a natural application for the CNC Southpaw. There are a couple of things I'd change if I were to make more of these but by and large it went pretty easy. Following your prototype and directions made the design go pretty smooth [probably an hour] and the actual machining was about 45 minutes including setup.
I deviated from your plan by making the top and bottom go together with a rabbet in the base and putting an 1/8" pocket in the top so that it links together. A natural operation for a CNC and I remembered to make the fit loose so it would fit with not quite a friction fit. [little hands, you know]. Unfortunately, I neglected the fact that to put a half inch peg into a half in hole the hole needs to be a little over 1/2". Like I said: if I ever wanted to do this again, I'd make a few changes.

IMG_1388 (Copy).JPG

IMG_1389 (Copy).JPG

IMG_1390 (Copy).JPG

As usual, the CNC isn't ideal for a one-off project but it was fun and that's why we do these things. I may do a few changes and make a few more of them someday, but hogging out those pockets and using the CNC to cut the project out of the workpiece creates a pile of shavings. I could hook up the vacuum to partially solve that issue, but it's a bit cumbersome.

Anyway, thanks for the idea. It was fun.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:40 pm

Good looking job, Loyd. Now, you only need a small magnet to keep the 2 halves together. Yes, CNC would make the job a little easier (and a little better). :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:05 pm

IMG_1393 (Copy).JPG

I colored the tops of the pegs with a marker.
Then sprayed them with clear lacquer.
Then I realized what I'd done wrong in just coloring the tops so that the color would run. :oops:
Now I'll do the pegs over again and color the whole thing like my son in law suggested. :roll:

Every project it a learning experience.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Progress Report:
Finished 30 Tic-Tac-Toe games for great-grandson's classmates gifts...… Finally. Magnets installed to keep top and bottom halves together and provide closed storage for the "pegs". CNC just might be a better way! :geek:

DSC03789-1.jpg
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Southpaw, your tenacity is admirable. I'd lose patience after the first but they sure look good.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Previous

Return to General Woodworking