covered bowl

Bowls, platters, table tops, etc. Things mounted on a faceplate or in a chuck that aren't covered elsewhere in the Turniing Forum

covered bowl

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:52 pm

376.jpg
covered bowl

Just showing off a little. The workmanship on this bowl isn't what I'd usually want to have my name on, but I ran out of patience with it after burning through the lacquer twice in the wet sanding phase and just squirted on an over coat of gloss lacquer and polished it with Mr. Beale's three brush polishing system. It passes the 6 foot rule -- that's the rule that says "if it looks good from 6 feet away, it's good" -- but not my usually guide to quality. Having said all that, I still put #376 on the base with my engraver and added it to my just finished list. That list BTW has 376 entries of wood turning art [I don't include utility stuff like pepper mills, coffee scoops, and the like in that list]. Anyway, the lady of the house walked by the table as I was taking the photo and said "Pretty", so there you have it.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: covered bowl

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm

I mentioned my list of turnings in the previous post. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but I'll go into it again here. Years ago I was advised to sign everything I made on the lathe. You may have guessed who told me that but just in case, I'll give you a clue: Tom Cowan taught me how to turn bowls on his Powermatic Model 90 lathe many years ago. Tom signed his name with a black marker, so I took his advice and started signing mine from the very beginning. I don't recall exactly how it happened, but I also started numbering them at the same time. So my wood art [as distinguished from utility stuff] has, from the beginning of my turning career, been numbered. After a while, I had to have a list of the turnings to remember where the next number was to come from so began the list. Still later, I found it convenient to keep my list with some descriptive data in Excel on my computer. Much later on I started taking photos of them and linking the photos to the Excel sheet so that clicking on the number brought up a photo.

The first photo linked to the Excel file is #224 which happens to be the first 'truly' segmented bowl I ever turned after returning from a seminar in Provo, Utah in 2004 where I attended a lesson on how to do it. Here's the description from that line in the Excel sheet:
224-4 Segmented vessel Vessel 6 1/2 5 Polyurethane wick on 07/01/2004 16 segment rings ; alder, walnut, curley maple,

And here is the photo:
224-4.JPG

My memory isn't so great any more but the Excel sheet remembers and that vessel is on my shelf about 4 feet from my computer screen. :D
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Great idea Loyd and I sign some of my turnings and some I don't depending on where and to whom it is going. Back when I turned pens I did keep a spreadsheet and numbered each pen with the date, pen kit name, refill type, woods used, price it sold for and who bought it.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 am

The list keeps us "old folks" from giving the same thing to the same people all the time. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 am

You're correct Southpaw. I started that late in the process but try to keep putting their destination on later stuff. I started listing the boxes but senior memory keeps me from doing it so I've dropped that part of it all. If someone gets another box -- hopefully it won't be identical to the first -- they just have two boxes.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Open forms All turnings like bowls, etc