Color lacquer

Discussions on finishing products and methods

Color lacquer

Postby loyd » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:57 am

I'm not happy with the process of using enamel followed by shellac followed by clear lacquer in finishing the fins for the TCCY rocket. I would really like to find a source for red and blue LACQUER spray cans.

I put 3 coats of the blue [and red] enamel on the fins and then covered them with shellac. When I sanded the shellac finish with 600 grit, the color showed through on the sandpaper. Maybe the shellac coat was too thin or maybe there's something going on between the enamel and shellac [not supposed to happen, right?].

I went ahead and put a light spray of gloss lacquer on one set of fins to see if the lacquer burns the enamel.

I'D SURE LIKE TO FIND COLOR LACQUER TO FORGO THAT CRAZY PROCESS.

ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Color lacquer

Postby loyd » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:45 pm

The carvers use a clear enamel. I have a few cans of that that I used in an experiment on turning a while back and decided it wasn't as easy to get a good gloss finish as lacquer [as well as taking a long time to dry]. If we were to use the clear enamel over the color enamel it solves the issues with having to put on shellac as a barrier to prevent burn out. BUT! Is it going to be as nice as lacquer. We can get a wet look with lacquer. Can we get that with clear enamel? Anyone know the answer here?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Color lacquer

Postby loyd » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:10 am

Remember the age old advice: "To know what's in a paint/varnish, read the clean up instructions?"
Or the older yet: "Read the instructions!" Here's another: "When dealing with chemicals, read the contents!"

But it should be safe to use enamel over enamel, right?

Well, I read the cleanup instructions on the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel which read "use Xycol or mineral spirits". Pretty tame right? Not so fast. The contents of that Rustoleum clear enamel include Tolulene, Xylene, and acetone among other assorted stuff. But lacquer thinner contains all three of those chemicals too.

So, I finally read the contents of the Krylon spray paint I used. That paint contains, among other things: tolulene and xylene.

When I sprayed the Rustoleum clear enamel over the Krylon red enamel it reactivated the red enamel -- if you spray lacquer over other lacquer the layers merge and that's a good thing because you expect it to do that -- but I expected the clear enamel to just lay over the red enamel and that's not what happened.

Another old piece of advice: "Test your finishes on SCRAP that is similar to the workpiece!" Hmmm!
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Finishing (Products, methods, tools, etc.)