Minwax Polyshades polyurethane varnish

Discussions on finishing products and methods

Minwax Polyshades polyurethane varnish

Postby loyd » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:24 pm

I had an interesting conversation in Manchester Paint store [used to be Briggs]. I saw that the store had Minwax Stains but couldn't find Polyshades, so I asked the clerk. He told me that he didn't carry it because the color isn't reliable. I guess he might be correct but have no personal knowledge of it. I almost never use polyurethane varnish due to the plastic look of it, and when I do it's thinned down with mineral spirits so I can use it as a penetrating finish similar to an oil finish [think Deft Oil or Watco]. According to Bob Flexner in his "Understanding Wood Fishing" book [aka "my finishing bible"] that's what wiping varnishes are -- varnish that has been thinned down with a solvent.

My intent is to use the Polyshades as a toner/glaze over a previous coat of varnish. In fact, I did that this morning, so the jury is deliberating on that as I write this. The color of my project wasn't 'red' enough; hence the toner. However, the risk of a plastic look when all is done and dried worries me. :roll: :roll:

Sometimes, I over think these things. :?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Minwax Polyshades polyurethane varnish

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I have tried Polyshade several times and never liked the results. Maybe it is just me but never covered the way I thought it should. Kind of blotchy!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:04 am

dec 11 color (Copy).jpg

Well, the guy at Manchester Paints had a point. The color surely didn't mix well even though I stirred it and shook it vigorously. You can still see streaks in the coating. At first I thought that it was just brush marks, but the finish flowed out well and there are no ridges in the finish. The streaks are just color in the otherwise smooth surface.

I rubbed it out with 4/0 steel wool and MinWax furniture wax. The surface is very smooth but the color streaks are still there.

The problem with this is that the color will darken with each coat and this is the color I'm after. So, this is it. It's done; streaks and all. :(
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Looks like you had better luck than I have had.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Return to Finishing (Products, methods, tools, etc.)