CNC bowl

Bowls, platters, table tops, etc. Things mounted on a faceplate or in a chuck that aren't covered elsewhere in the Turniing Forum

CNC bowl

Postby loyd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:27 am

I tried another bowl with the CNC. This time I used a model from the clip art. I edited the model to change the proportions and then put it in a ring. The CNC worked away for a couple of hours and cut the ring. Not exactly what I wanted, but OK. When they describe walnut as ring porous they should have added to that "sometime extremely ring porous" because as you can see in the photos it was not the most pleasing appearance once the finish was applied and buffed out.

The wood for this bowl -- like that from the first one I did -- was from the slab of walnut sap and heart wood mix. I knew it would be difficult to turn but went ahead with it anyway. I sharpened my bowl gouge several times and still tore out the end grain. I sanded with a 100 grit disk until I had gouges in the wood but never made it to the bottom of the tear-out [as you can see]. All in all, a very unsatisfactory outcome.
2NF_f4vxSc-bMUyRvuxnqA.jpg

I pondered whether to number it and sign it but ultimately decided that I should.
Attachments
397.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: CNC bowl

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Well I like it a lot! Looks like it has been around for many years.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:06 pm

That's it. It's antique and supposed to look like that. :lol: :lol: The wife says it looks like a collection plate. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby henry » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:07 am

Nice job !
henry

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:52 pm

If she thinks it looks like a collection bowl, she should have put something in it. :geek:
southpaw57

Return to Open forms All turnings like bowls, etc