Salt and Pepper mills

Forum rules
Here you can Show Off. Just like at Club meetings during the Show and Tell session.

Salt and Pepper mills

Postby loyd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 pm

IMG_20190912_153310_999.jpg

My latest turning activity. My grandniece is getting married and, in a moment of madness, I chose to send her a set of salt and pepper mills. My walnut stock is really getting low, but this seemed a good use for it. These kinds of things aren't my favorite thing to spend my time on but here it is. Several coats of Deft gloss over two coats of Deft sanding sealer [rattle cans]; wet sanded at 1500 grit and buffed on the Beal system. Still not as nice as Chuck or Doyle stuff but it's what comes out of my efforts.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Salt and Pepper mills

Postby sid_matheny » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Sure looks great from here Loyd! Did you use the ceramic mechanism? I have heard several that used the stainless steel for salt had problems with them.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 am

I got the salt grinder from Craft Supplies and it has a ceramic grinder and [I think] a stainless shank. The pepper mill also came from Craft Supplies with a regular steel shank and grinder. I haven't had complaints about the several others I've made, but I always have used the salt grinder kit for salt and the pepper grinder kit for pepper.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:41 am

Looks great, Loyd. I have not noticed any problem with the salt grinder from Craft Supply either. I have used them for 10-12 years.

Keep on producing those great projects! :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 am

I think these are the same ones Doyle uses too.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Show & Tell