Using my new bits

Computer Numerical Control

Using my new bits

Postby loyd » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:03 pm

I purchased bits from Amazon several weeks ago but didn’t have a chance to test them until this morning. I did a 3d carving using a 1.5mm [0.059”] ball nose bit for finish and a 3.175mm [0.125”] ball nose bit for roughing. They worked as expected and did a very good job. These bits come in boxes of 10 bits. The cost from Amazon was $11.99 for the 1.5mm and $12.99 for the 3.175. The cost is for the box of 10, so you’re buying a solid carbide bit in each case for just a bit over a buck. I’m accustomed to paying 10 to 20 times that for a bit, so this was a purchase more to see about the product than for the need of the bit. It turns out to be a very pleasant surprise.
These bits are 1/8” shank so require a collet to accommodate. I purchased precision collet and collet nut from Precise Bits a few years ago because I suspected runout on the collet I had. I’m not sure of the need for the expense but it sure is pretty. Only complaint is the multipronged collet wrench needed. It’s difficult for me – having no depth perception may be my problem – to get the wrench into the 4 prongs to mate the collet nut, but I managed.
The result is very good as you can see in the Corian oval. The 3d figure is just clip art from Vectric’s V-Carve 9.5 that I use.

IMG_1352 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1349 (Copy).jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Using my new bits

Postby loyd » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am

IMG_1358 (Copy).JPG

This is the 3d carving I described before. I'm impressed by the outcome using those new 'cheap' carbide bits. Richard mentioned inlaying in box tops a while back. These may be a good candidate to use for Corian inlays. The surface is really good on this carving.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 am

Oh yeah that does look good. Do you plan on making several and save for future projects?
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am

Haven't though about making more just yet.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC