Fitting Inlays

Computer Numerical Control

Re: Fitting Inlays

Postby loyd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Hot glue might be the best answer. I'll try a dab on the corners away from the work area. Stay tuned.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Once you put a piece into a pocket, it doesn't take a lot to hold it down. I still try to clamp the piece if there's an area on the edge that doesn't get carved. Generally though, I think double stick tape would work. One thing I saw, but never tried, is to put painters tape on the work piece and another piece on the machine bed/jig/waste board. then you use CA glue between the two pieces of tape.
I think hot melt might give you inconsistent Z heights for multiple pieces. Or the top surface might not be level with the bed.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:47 am

I always seem to fail "hot glue" I tried it Saturday and it failed during one of the long passes and pulled the piece out of the pocket. I think it was my bad though. I used dabs of it on the corners of the 2" square workpiece and that just wasn't a strong enough bond. I've used it once by building a fence around a piece on the lathe and it worked fine. It probably would have worked had I built a hot glue perimeter. I still have some experimenting to do and it may involve a little better holding method. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Previous

Return to CNC