Fitting Inlays

Computer Numerical Control

Fitting Inlays

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 pm

An inlay needs a pocket to go into. For the inlay to fit, the pocket needs to be ever-so-slightly larger than the inlay, or the inlay won't go into it. That means that in your layout of the inlay and pocket you need to take that into consideration. Too big, and the inlay goes in but leaves a gap around it. Too small and the inlay won't go. Exactly the same size and -- have you ever heard of tolerances? Well a CNC machine will cut to where you tell it to cut +/- some tolerance. Sometimes the tolerance build-up will make it too tight and it won't go in; other times too loose and there's a gap. So in the inlay program in VCarve they give you the option to specify an "Allowance". Another way is to put an allowance in your basic design by making a line outside of the cut out line. That's not a certain amount since it depends on the machine(s) you're using, the size of the inlay, and [to a certain extent -- I suppose] the material. Maybe someone else knows a scientific way to do this but I've decided the only acceptable way is to use a dummy board to cut a test pocket before you commit to carving your work piece. Call me a coward if you will.

cameo small fitted (Copy).png

This inlay is very tight. It is about 2" tall and the allowance I programmed was 0.015" [overall 0.030"]. I used a sanding wheel to bevel the inside edge of the inlay and then force it into the pocket. In theory, the pocket is 0.030" larger than the inlay.

The inlay is Corian. The pocket is cut in red maple.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Fitting Inlays

Postby sid_matheny » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:04 pm

I think you are right Loyd, the smaller one does look better. I can see using different materials making a difference in the milling and one would be hard pressed to set the tolerance perfect without a test piece. I need to see how much Corian I have left. They are not big pieces but should work OK on the Shark. I gave Richard some a few years ago.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Corian is easy to re-saw. I cut the 1/2" pieces down the middle and they need very little sanding afterward.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:21 pm

I sent you an email about the corian I have.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Got the email Sid. Thanks.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:13 am

Sid, Those Corian pieces you gave me at the meeting are perfect for the inlays I have in mind. I'll post results when I make one. Thanks! :D :D
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:24 am

IMG_1338 (Copy).JPG

This is the finished box with the Corian inlay.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Glad you can use them Loyd. Looking forward to seeing what you make using them.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 pm

holder.jpg

Working on how to hold those pieces and I think I have it figured out. This should work with a dab of CA glue to hold the piece in. I'll put a hole in the bottom to punch it out. It's not tight enough since a clearance is needed to let it be inserted. Each piece is just a little bit different [dimensions] than others.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Looks like it should work. Hot glue might be easier to get apart than CA or maybe double sided tape.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Next

Return to CNC