Jensen's box

Things requiring joinery includes any form of furniture, jewelry and whatnot boxes, millwork, etc

Jensen's box

Postby loyd » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:30 pm

closed box (Copy).jpg

open box (Copy).jpg

This is another try for this post. Something happened and I lost the first try.

These photos are of a box I've made for my great grandson, Jensen, for next Christmas. He's 3 years old so I figured it would need to be pretty robust. I had the experience of installing a piano hinge [how robust is that?].

The horse is a 3d model from clip art that came with Vectric's Vcarve 9.5.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Jensen's box

Postby rgulley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 am

Good looking box Loyd. I'm thinking bout turning out some small cedar boxes like everyone used to have in their homes. They usually had an oval picture on the top. I can either decoupage the pic or do a photo transfer on a thin piece of maple and inlay that. So many projects, so little time.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:04 am

I really like that inlay idea. That suggests solutions to several issues including the issue of wood figure interfering with carving issue. Thanks for the hint. 8-)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

The idea of using inlay to avoid interference by the wood grain to the carved figure seemed like a good idea so I did that today and wasn't very impressed.
J7R5MzfbR52Rpv4oi6qhpw.jpeg

This red maple [aka ambrosia] is starting to not be much fun and I have a lot of it. As you can see in the photo, I tried Richard's idea of inlaying a figure in hopes of dodging that issue, but I'm afraid that it just didn't make a whole lot of difference. The wood figure is still dominant. I may try to increase the size of the inlay to give it a fighting chance against all that wonderful figure, but I suspect that it's just chasing my tail.

And by the way: Make sure you leave a little slack in the pocket for the inlay so it will fit. I had to do a little hand work to get it in because I forgot to remember that little detail.

While I'm whining I'll add another whine to the pot.
xSWwBg0xS8-FxnfJ-O0m2A.jpeg

I've measured moisture content of the wood here and it comes up about 10 to 12%. The pocket was done with an upcut 1/4" end mill and it made all those splinters you see. That happens a lot on this wood. Is that a red maple characteristic? Grrrrrrrrrrr.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:21 am

A dull or improperly sharpened router bit will do the same thing. Just thinking. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:12 am

The dull issue is well placed for this particular instance. I suspect all of my endmill bits need to be retired/replaced. I have ordered each an upcut and a downcut 1/8" bit and probably need to do the same with the 1/4" bits.

This pocket was done with a 1/4" spiral upcut bit because the downcut bit looked pretty dull.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Neither Henry or I are very pleased with the wood we purchased this last time. I think it was the guys reject pile. But it was cheap - or was it?
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Shortstop is correct; there's no doubt that I've been using dull bits on the Shark, but that wood is also an issue. I ripped a board today with a sharp 50 tooth blade. The kerf produced a clean cut but ejected a strip of kerf wide ribbon out the back of the blade slot almost like I didn't have the teeth projecting out of the wood. That's a new thing for me. Crosscuts with that blade leave fuzz. Add me to the list of 'not too happy' people. But we knew we were getting 'cheap' wood when we went up there and the seller told us as much and cut the price. So . . .
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:25 pm

This thread has lost its way. ;)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Loyd I bet that stone or marble looking Corian would look great with that design milled into it.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Next

Return to Furniture/Boxes/Millwork