Mistakes and fixing them

Any woodworking not in the following categories

Mistakes and fixing them

Postby loyd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Making mistakes is a big part of woodworking. I made one yesterday that could have been a disaster but I remembered guidance from an old friend: “the mark of a good craftsman is the ability to recover from a mistake!” My problem was inattention when I was cutting the top from a box. I cut the long sides away and turned the box to lower the blade to cut ‘almost’ through the short sides, but I then made a cut across the bottom of the short side instead of across the top. I saw it immediately and stopped the process and came into the house to calm down. I surely didn’t want to abandon the box after all the time invested to that point.

The recovery: lower the blade further to provide a slot all around the box into which to insert some stringing. It’s not what I had envisioned for this box – I have an insert for the top with a cameo figure inscribed in an oval piece of Corian and didn’t intend any further embellishments – but it isn’t too obnoxious so I’m good with it for now.

Thought I'd share this episode with you. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one to have made this mistake but I'm hoping it will be my last incident of this mistake. :oops:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Mistakes and fixing them

Postby southpaw57 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:07 am

Every mistake provides an "opportunity". Great recovery. Someone is going to ask; "How did you come up with that unique idea for the "inlay""? What will be your "story" then?
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 am

Good question: I think I'll just stick to this one though. As far as 'opportunities' go: I seem to have more and more of them these days. I think that may be due to the changing climate or something like that. :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:40 pm

They're blaming everything else on climate change. This ought to fit too.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby sid_matheny » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Sounds like you made a great save Loyd. If we never made any mistakes, there wouldn't be any need for erasers on pencils! :lol:
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:17 pm

IMG_1329.JPG

The walnut string inlay an inch up from the base is there to cover up my mistake. The initial mistaken cut was on the left side and almost through the side piece. I lowered the blade and cut a 1/8" deep, 1/16th inch wide path around the other three sides to finish the stinging. The 1/8" width walnut 'string' at the top separates the top slab from the sides. In retrospect, it would have been better to have made that disguise cut 1/8" wide, to match the one above, instead of just continuing the 1/16" width of the original mistake cut.

It's just not what I want, but there is is none-the-less. :oops: :(
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to General Woodworking