Negative Rake Scrapers

Faceplate and between centers turning discussions

Negative Rake Scrapers

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 am

I have read a lot and seen several videos over the last few years about Negative Rake Scrapers and wonder if anyone here uses them. About the only thing I have used anywhere near one is a skew for scraping. This is just one of the many videos on NRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkR1I2Z1A4&t=728s
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: Negative Rake Scrapers

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I guess no one uses one!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

You are probably right, Sid. But, it is certainly intriguing enough to try one. Now, how make a "cheap" trial scraper. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm a bit confused, as usual. Why do these things that look like my two skews [curved edge and straight edge] get called "negative edge scrapers"? Many years ago Henry showed me a technique he used to get very good surfaces on very thin bowls. The technique was simply to use a skew like a scraper. I imagine he used it primarily to avoid a catch with a standard scraper which would have destroyed his thin walled bowls, but it also made a very good finish in difficult situations. I picked up on that and use the technique often. But it's just a skew used as a scraper unless you're a tool manufacturer looking to sell a 'new and improved' scraper in which case you'd probably call it a "negative edge scraper". :roll:

By the way: That guy was right about going to the grinder often. The burr doesn't last long when you torture it like that.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 pm

southpaw57 wrote:You are probably right, Sid. But, it is certainly intriguing enough to try one. Now, how make a "cheap" trial scraper. :geek:

I'm thinking about getting another PSI Benjamins Best 1-1/2 in. HSS round nose scraper to make a neg rake.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Postby sid_matheny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Loyd I guess with a scraper being thicker it would work better on the inside of bowls. I have used a skew on the outside several times.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 am

Loyd, it looks like you were just "ahead of your time" when you used the skew as a new-found "negative rake scraper". How is that for "leading the pack". :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 am

I guess you're right Sid. Chatter is always a problem when you get very far off the tool rest. Let us know how your new experiment comes out.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Turning – All things done on the lathe