Pestle

Faceplate and between centers turning discussions

Pestle

Postby loyd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 pm

My son always has a project to test my mettle in the shop. Last week was a broken pestle [as in mortar and pestle you may recall from your chemistry class]. The remains of what was once a working pestle included the business end and about 1 1/2" of handle. He's a chef and uses it in his craft in the process of grinding up dry spices for sauces, etc. so it's no small thing to him.
I found a piece of purpleheart that we agreed would be functional and attractive [attractive is important since your tools are on display for other chefs on the line]. Drilling a hole just the right size on the lathe and sinking a screw part way into the back end of the broken pestle handle seemed appropriate to increase the hold of the marine grade epoxy we used for the connection. The slow cure marine grade epoxy seemed a good way to solve the connection issue -- that and letting it cure for a week.

A week later we turned it on the lathe and the results are just what he wanted. A pleased customer; the goal of a purveyor of the free trade.

IMG_20180924_144429_606.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Pestle

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Sure looks like it should work, What was the bottom made of?
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Another successful venture! :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm

The pestle is marble according to my son. It sure is hard, but I was able to buff some spots out of it and it polished up pretty well.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Turning – All things done on the lathe