Tom Cowan Memorial Turning Bee

Faceplate and between centers turning discussions

Tom Cowan Memorial Turning Bee

Postby loyd » Tue May 09, 2017 7:00 am

May 20th at Larry Wendlend's shop. I hear that 40 'students' will be participating. That has to be pretty nearly a record. Anxious to see that crowd. Be there or be square. :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Tom Cowan Memorial Turning Bee

Postby southpaw57 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am

Planning on being there! Sounds like a good group. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Tue May 09, 2017 3:57 pm

I may try to show up just to hang around a great group of folks.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby henry » Thu May 11, 2017 2:13 am

The "bowl blank" crew got together yesterday and cut out a bunch of blanks. Looks like we may need some more.

The Crew -- Tough Bunch
Attachments
The Crew.JPG
THE CREW
henry

Postby loyd » Thu May 11, 2017 11:29 am

Well there they are; the four dedicated wood turners as they do the thankless job of preparing blanks for others to turn and their dedicated photographer [presumably Henry] out there in the cold and heat cutting blanks.

TB 007 (Copy).JPG
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:50 am

Yes, this is a necessary part of the process to make the turning bee a huge success. Thanks to the "crew" for doing the "hard work" so that others can have the "fun" at the bee. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, we put another turning bee under our belt. It was a great session with many new turners putting up with chips flying and instructors bossing them around. Larry and his intrepid crew had lathes all over that shop and a happy crowd of boys and girls learning the ropes of how not to get your fingers pinched or hair in the lathe and how to rub a bevel whilst still cutting wood. More fun couldn't be prescribed by anyone other than the TVW members. Good job that.

This is the first one without Tom Cowan but David Cowan was there. I hope he continues to participate in Club activities. He's a natural for this sort of thing. I don't recall when we started this but I'll never forget how it started; fashioned after an old fashion 'quilting bee' and depending on the hard work of a committee of the willing to get it ready. A lot of years since the first Bee and never a missed year since.

Of course, the food was a major hit. Dinner prepared entirely by Larry and his able crew and orchestrated by Sherry, with desserts by Karen, and refreshments provided by Felix.

We held the political discussion to a minimum and I'm unaware of any pranks -- the porta potty was still upright when I left -- or practical jokes. So a very good day indeed.

We'll need to do this again next year when the weather is as nice as it was today.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby henry » Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Yes ! a great day and as well attended as any we have had. Thanks a millions Larry and Sherry !

I believe the first Turning Bee was was in July 2002, It was Tom's idea and held for years at Tom's shop for many years. Then Larry offered his shop.

I wish we knew how many club members got first taste of turning at a Turning Bee.
henry

Postby southpaw57 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 am

I can answer for one! :geek:
southpaw57

Return to Turning – All things done on the lathe