Tinted oil finish

Discussions on finishing products and methods

Tinted oil finish

Postby loyd » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 pm

I have a walnut bowl cut from a slab of walnut with lots of punky sapwood and some pretty firm heartwood. My hope was to get the sapwood to match the heartwood and thought that walnut tinted Watco oil would do the job, but it doesn't really look very good. Anyone have advice???? :?:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Tinted oil finish

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 pm

If only Jack Kincella used the forum...………. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 am

Agreed!
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 am

I decided to go with a mixture of Bob Flexner and Tom Cowan advice. Flexner, in his wood finishing book, said that one of the purposes of shellac was as a barrier coat to protect a film finish from whatever lies beneath it. The Watco Oil finish on my workpiece was put on pretty heavy [maybe 3 coats] trying to cover up the very light sapwood, and I have been procrastinating over what to put on it as a finish. Tom Cowan told me years ago that I could use an oil finish to bring out the figure and then use lacquer but to wait for three days to let the oil dry well.

My favorite finish is Lacquer but I contemplated using gloss polyurethane which, to put it lightly, isn't my favorite. Flexner's shellac advice appealed and I happen to have some Zinsser rattle can shellac so that's what I've used [for better or worse]. Now, I can supposedly forget the polyurethane and use lacquer on top of the shellac.

Stay tuned! :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Finishing (Products, methods, tools, etc.)