tinting lacquer

Discussions on finishing products and methods

tinting lacquer

Postby loyd » Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm

I've avoided tinting clear finishes since one of the presenters at a seminar gave us a lecture on the failures of doing so. However, there sometimes comes a situation when it's about the only thing left to do. I started making a small table for one of my granddaughters a few months ago but was short of wood of like species to make it.
Of course the natural thing to do was to pick a species that I had just enough wood to make the table [cherry], but I didn't have cherry thick enough to make the legs. After an aborted attempt to make legs by gluing thin wood up and turning that, I gave up on that because it looked terrible -- grain patterns fighting each other, etc.

At this point, I had make the top, the shelf, and legs and wasn't about to throw this thing in the burn barrel so I picked out some walnut that would just fit the bill and figured that I'd just fake it. Not gonna happen. It looked terrible. First the cherry parts didn't even match the other cherry parts. Second the cherry, being of a red persuasion didn't match the walnut I had which was of the green persuasion -- it happens that walnut comes in different hues, some predominantly green and some red. This walnut, once hit with mineral spirits on a rag jumped out with a very green hue. The whole thing resembled a bruise.

It happens that I had some Behlen Solar-lux American Walnut dye that mixes with lacquer -- I bought that stuff before the previously mentioned seminar and it sat in my cabinet for many years. With not much to lose, I decided to tint the lacquer to spray the whole thing so as to match the various species. It took some doing, but at this point, after varying the coats of the tinted lacquer to match the parts as best as I figured necessary, it nears completion. A few more coats of clear satin Deft lacquer and it will become inventory until the next gift giving ceremony.

copy table.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: tinting lacquer

Postby southpaw57 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Great looking table. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Mon May 20, 2019 3:13 pm

I have not had good luck tinting lacquer but looks as if you have it mastered Loyd! Mighty fine looking table to boot!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm not sure the process is sound for every application, but it appears OK for this little job. As I pointed out in a previous post, you have to be very careful when you do it because a smear in wet lacquer is real hard to fix.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu May 23, 2019 11:03 am

IMG_20190523_111636_408 (Copy).jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result. Looks like aged cherry and is reasonably matched. The red tint on the walnut spindles kind of blends in. Pretty dark but acceptable at 6 feet which is my success criteria. ;)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Finishing (Products, methods, tools, etc.)