Lacquer question

Discussions on finishing products and methods

Lacquer question

Postby loyd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm

I opened a gallon can of Deft Brushing Lacquer [gloss] this afternoon. It has been in my cabinet for several years. Opened once when new to remove an ounce or two and then closed up and left in the cabinet untouched. When I opened it today to use it, the color was pretty dark and, of course, there was lots of goo in the bottom. I stirred it up until the glue was pretty much dispersed, but while stirring, the sick was making sounds like there may have been grit [rust?] on the bottom of the can. There was also some rust colored spots on the inside of the lid.

I saved the stir stick to see whether or not the lacquer will dry hard and see if it still has a gloss sheen, but then I closed it back up to wait for advice on whether to use it or find a way of disposing of it safely. Given the cost of a gallon of brushing lacquer, I'm hoping for some good news.

Any thoughts?

:roll: :|
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Lacquer question

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Well for myself, I don't keep any finish over 2 years. A couple of weeks ago I took 5 or 6 quart cans of different finishes and stains to our trash center where they have a building for old paint and finishes. I had much rather buy new than have to sand off a mess.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am

I do not have any experience in stuff staying around too long. I buy the Deft in quart cans and it goes pretty quickly. I might be afraid to use the old stuff on that beautiful new segmented vessel. Sorry! :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 am

I think that I'm getting the gist of the advice. But how do I go about disposing of almost a gallon of lacquer? By the way. Thanks!
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

If Manchester has those fenced in convenience centers, the main one may have a place for paint and finishes like the one we have. If not I can take it to the one we have for you.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks Sid. I'll check into the solid waste folks.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Finishing (Products, methods, tools, etc.)