Sketchup gossip

Any article related to design of woodworking projects

Sketchup gossip

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am

Has anyone done a recent download from the new Sketchup developer since the change from Google? Wood has an article on it this month. I haven't had a notice or anything from them in a long time. I'm still using SketchUp 8 with the funny red icon and it works but I'm wondering if the new guy has fixed any of the bugs.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Sketchup gossip

Postby southpaw57 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:15 am

I am in need of a Cad progam that will run on 8.1 OS. What is the learning curve on Sketchup? Remember, I am getting older and slower. ;)
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:35 am

Actually Sketchup isn't very hard to learn if you FIRST unlearn and forget everything you ever learned about previous CAD programs. It's a different beast. Once you get past the fundamentals, it's pretty intuitive. I'm just a novice and don't know a lot of the nuances, but I'll be glad to help get you started if you wish. BTW, Old is good and Olde is better. :)

Another BTW. It works good on Win 8.1 :roll:

Another BTW: There are free online tutorials.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Is there an auto dimensioning thingy?
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:19 pm

You can manually attach dimensions but to my knowledge there isn't an auto dimensioning function; at least not on the FREE version. It may be on the PRO version but I don't know.

My way of using dimensioning is to print out a section at a time. Most of the time, I don't even use dimensioning because you can read it better if you just write the dimensions on a printed section. I typically draw up the unit and then copy it off to the side and explode the copy so that I can see parts and how they go together. I sometimes dimension them there, but since it's easy to copy the parts off to the side by themselves as many times as you want it's sometimes easier to just break it down into parts and dimension them by themselves.

You can actually create 3 views if necessary but I seldom go that far.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Think of the three dimension views that are normal using Sketchup. While you can (as I said in the previous post) make three views or copy individual parts to a remote area and dimension them there, you still have the 3d issue to deal with.

2d sketchup.jpg
2 d view

3d sketchup.jpg
3d view

In the 2 dimension view you can dimension it pretty easily but you may miss something in doing so. The 3 dimension view lets you put some dimensions on the piece but how they orient could be a problem. The dimension issue is awkward but it can be used pretty easily if you're careful. I don't have a problem with dimensioning since I'm OK with workarounds and not to fussy about my sketches. I've used it for tables, plaques, construction jobs (the farm building being one), but mostly for boxes. It works for me better than Design CAD and Auto Sketch but if you're articulate with those kinds of things with fancy features that may be a better solution for you.

The offer for a tutorial is still on the table if you wish.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Design (including CAD and Sketchup)