Fluting a flat column

Any article related to design of woodworking projects

Fluting a flat column

Postby rgulley » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 am

I have a board (actually 2) that is 8" wide and 45" long. It's the top part of a taller (~80") column. I want to put 4-5 flutes in it. The largest ball nose bit I have is 1/2". I did some samples last night cutting .25 " deep. I didn't like the look. But if I go shallower the flutes will be narrower. Anyone have advice/tips on laying out flutes on a flat board?
rgulley
Site Admin

Re: Fluting a flat column

Postby loyd » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am

I've never done fluting that big but I did do some using a 1/4" round nose bit for my TV cabinet and the big table legs and found that setting the depth at a little deeper than the radius of the bit looked better than everything else I did. Just a little deeper seemed to pick up the shadows better. I think it may be a judgment call though. This photo is rough but it shows what I mean.

leg fluting and champhering  (15).JPG
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:59 pm

How wide is this leg? I may be trying to put too many flutes in. If it's 4" with 3 .25 flutes, Maybe I just need three .5" flutes in a 8".
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 pm

The leg is about 3 1/2" square by 28" long. You're looking down the leg. It's chamfered on the 4 corners from just below the apron to about 4" above the floor.
This is a Sketchup view of the table underside.

underside view table - Copy.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Design (including CAD and Sketchup)