Frame and panel design

Any article related to design of woodworking projects

Frame and panel design

Postby rgulley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 am

I'm building some frame and panels to wrap the platform in our new sanctuary. The largest sections are 134.5" long and 28" high (2 each). The smallest is same height and about 20" wide. My question is should I run the panel grain horizontal in the long section, but vertical in the short. My gut says no. I'd like to make the panels wider in the long section, but fear a wide vertical panel would introduce too much expansion. If I run the grain horizontal in the wide sections, then I'd almost have to do so in the narrow section too. I don't think that would look right, but neither would changing the grain direction.

I've just about decided to make the panel as close to a square as possible in the large section and run the grain vertical.

I'd appreciate thoughts on frame and panel design.
rgulley
Site Admin

Re: Frame and panel design

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Your gut is right in my book. Keep the grain going the same way.

Sid
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Hmmmmmm! I don't think horizontal would look good at all. Vertical grain for wainscot just like for furniture sides and doors. Square wouldn't be my first choice for panels 28" high since a 28" wide board panel would be a bear to account for expansion/contraction and I don't think would look good anyway. More like about 16 inches wide (think golden mean).
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:56 am

The frame is about 27" high - the panel is only about 18". Golden mean would give me about 11". That's a lot of panels. I'm also re-furbing an altar rail that came out of the church I went to as a boy. It has a core of frame and plywood panels that are square.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 am

Are you going to make raised panels or flat. I guess 18" square would be about the outter limit on solid wood in a frame, but plywood may be a better choice since you already have the alter rail as a starting place. Then you wouldn't need to worry about expansion in that span.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I checked with Dean Lutz before lunch and he has 1/4" oak ply on hand. I may go that route.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

I love it when a plan comes together. 8-)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I wanted to CNC a couple of the smaller panels. I'll put a thicker (non-raised ) wood panel in those two locations. Not what I wanted, but much easier.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:41 pm

:)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Design (including CAD and Sketchup)