cutting bord woods

Any article related to design of woodworking projects

cutting bord woods

Postby mrl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm a member of several different cutting board groups on Facebook and anytime anyone talks about the type of Woods that you could be used on a cutting board the answers are as different as there are number of people some people say you can't use poreis wood like red Oak some people say you can't use pine some people say that it's even based on hardness one thing I some people say you can use any type of would you want something that is well sealed have any inside to add to what type of wood can be used in a cutting board?
mrl

Re: cutting bord woods

Postby loyd » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:56 am

A safe bet is hard maple. Its closed pore structure is a good start for low absorption and there is some attractive grain patterns in some of it. Softer species of maple are OK too as long as you don't end up with curly patterns with interlocking grains that are apt to tear out. I've used -- and seen others use -- maple/walnut stripes after seeing what others have done. If you intend the board to be more of a daily utility piece rather than an attractive occasional use arty object, it may be best to just stick with low pore maple.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Design (including CAD and Sketchup)