How Can I Build a Piece of Furniture From a Picture?

Any article related to design of woodworking projects

How Can I Build a Piece of Furniture From a Picture?

Postby phil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:38 am

I recently decided to embark on building a sideboard for my dining room, but all I have to go by is a couple of pictures from the manufacturer's website. I only have three dimensions: Height, Width and Depth. I think I can fairly accurately reproduce the individual dimensions of each piece by using proportions, but that will be time consuming. Is this the only way to do it? I'm sure many of you have run across this same dilemma. If so, are there any tricks or shortcuts that any of you can pass along to me?
phil

Re: How Can I Build a Piece of Furniture From a Picture?

Postby loyd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:24 am

Phil, I'd suggest you get a full frontal view picture if you can. Scale from the dimensions you have for the frontal dimensions. A divider and ruler are about all you need. The sides will usually follow the front's lead as far as details are concerned.

If you are articulate in Sketchup you can input the frontal vie and scale it to your dimensions. There are videos on youtube.com [and example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gkjXBEqiYw ] . That takes more Sketchup skill than I have, but it looks pretty simple.

Someone else may have better advice. Good luck.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Besides Sketchup most CAD programs can handle inserting pictures and getting the dimensions you need.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby phil » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 am

Thank you Loyd and Sid for your input. I do have sketchup installed on my pc but have been too daunted by it to learn how to use it. As for the full frontal picture, fortunately I do have that. The Cad program sounds intriguing and might be something I can look into in the future. I hope to be able to attend this next month's meeting and I may have questions at that time.

Thanks again for all your help,
phil
phil

Return to Design (including CAD and Sketchup)