Design Software

Any article related to design of woodworking projects

Design Software

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:05 am

We've discussed Sketchup but there are other Brands of software. Tell us what kind of software you use. [Design CAD, AutoCAD, etc.] Geoff has many years experience in DesignCAD. What about you?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Design Software

Postby southpaw57 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:50 pm

I have intermediate experience with DesignCad (2D). Have installed and "played" with Sketchup.
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I have used many at different times. AutoCad, TurboCad, Ezy Cad, Sketchup a little and when I was doing sheet metal machine programming I used Merry Mechanization. There are a few I don't remember the names that I used in the late 80's doing CNC lathe & mill programming. I use TorboCad more than anything else now.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Bill asked a question on the Poll forum that may be of use to someone browsing here. My answer:

I suggest you go to http://www.tauntonstore.com/fine-woodwo ... 67125.html to look at . I've used Sketchup for several years but bought this not long ago. It's on sale again now for $11.01. I first bought and used Bob Lang's video presentation which I found to be tedious with detail. The better of the two -- at least to get started -- is the one by Dave Richards in the above link. And it's cheap. I've found that you do not need to know everything about Sketchup to use it effectively, and going through the Richards videos is much easier than wandering through the online tutorials until you find what you need to get your design done.

Having said the above, the only way I could ever learn anything -- be it video editing software or CAD -- is to actually use it. The Richard's video gets you there about as fast as any without bogging you down in fine detail.

Another answer. This one from Sid:
Bill this link may be of help also. http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

Sid's suggestion is really good for a beginner Bill. The instructions are clear as a bell.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

DesignCAD - Bargain Price

Postby gjroehm » Mon May 30, 2016 3:46 am

Since this thread seems to have more traffic, I thought I'd duplicate my post from the DesignCAD thread.

If you have been holding off buying DesignCAD because of the price, now there's no excuse. Amazon has Version 22 (which is plenty current) for less than $20. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/DESIGNCAD-V22-2D- ... Z6GAH29YKD
gjroehm

Return to Design (including CAD and Sketchup)