Cross cut slabs

Any woodworking not in the following categories

Cross cut slabs

Postby loyd » Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 pm

We recently had to cut an old elm tree down in the wife's farm yard. It was a little tree when she was a little girl and has stood there for a lot of years, but a few years ago it started to die and shed limbs and branches as it did so. It got to the point where it needed to come down. It was a split trunk because grandma kept trying to chop it out because it was shading her garden. The base of the tree therefore produced two trunks. I saved about 4 feet of one of the trunks starting at almost ground level; I thought it would be a keepsake turning.

LaDoris tree (Copy).JPG

There was discussion about making a small table from a slab of that but it died out until the wife saw one in a friend's house when we were recently on vacation in Florida. Now the discussion is getting serious and I'm left with the problem of making a table out of a slab from that trunk. My experience hasn't been good with cross cut slabs and I'm soliciting suggestions on how to go about this to avoid the inevitable cracks. The end you see in the photo is sitting on the grass at the moment and has been for about 15 days.

I'm interested in how to harvest and preserve a 3 or 4 inch slab so that I can make a small table. Any suggestion?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Cross cut slabs

Postby southpaw57 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:18 am

Well, if I had that task, I would .................. On second thought, let me get back to you on that!!!!!!!!
My neighbor recently made one out of a cross-cut oak slab. He flattened the slab using a setup with a router and rails.
Good luck. :geek:
southpaw57

Re: Cross cut slabs

Postby loyd » Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks Southpaw. I'll do that when I get it cut. Maybe with the CNC. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to General Woodworking