Shop-Made Depth/thickness Gauge for Bowls& HF

Tutorials and member videos will be posted here. Rmember that all copyrighted material is forbidden without express permission of the owner.

Shop-Made Depth/thickness Gauge for Bowls& HF

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 pm

I saw this and like it better than my stick and dowel for checking the depth of a bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU2PLmoLIR0
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: Shop-Made Depth/thickness Gauge for Bowls& HF

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:21 am

That's a lot better than all my other concoctions and should avoid some of those unintended wooden funnels.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 am

Whenever I get directed to a tutorial website like the one above I look at the videos in the promos on the right to see what catches my fancy. This one was on the list next to the posted video Sid put up and I thought it worth a bit of discussion. It's a bit long but you can fast forward through his basic woodturning if you get bored easily. The last few minutes are the point of the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1deKcmwyEk

The first thing is the beauty of the bowl this guy turns, but the next thing that came to mind is the thickness of the bowl walls. He got that blank of sycamore at a show somewhere. One expects a turning like this to be from green wood, but [unless there's some time trickery involved] he turns this bowl to completion in one go -- and leaves the walls very thick to accommodate his design of embellishments of twigs embedded in copper.

Why doesn't that bowl crack? :?:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:33 pm

It is not wet wood. This is a link to where he got the blank and they are kiln dried blanks.

http://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/sycamore-bowl-blanks/
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Good research Sid. That explains why it's not all split up. I'll bet that thing cost him pounds -- not pounds sterling but pounds of 24 carrot gold. :lol: Sure is a pretty piece of wood though. And the bowl is enough to inspire someone with that kind of dedication to turning. I'm not up to that level.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Tutorials and Videos