sled

Tutorials and member videos will be posted here. Rmember that all copyrighted material is forbidden without express permission of the owner.

sled

Postby loyd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxeP2UDugQ

I'm having a senior moment. I'm almost sure someone posted this, but I can't find it and didn't want to lose it. :oops:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: sled

Postby loyd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am

I decided to follow this approach to avoid the wiggle problems I've had with my old sled. I haven't done a ring yet because I just finished it this morning, but I saw Doyle's similar sled yesterday and looked at some of his rings and decided I needed to do this.

IMG_20180901_090115_094 (Copy).jpg

One of the things pointed out in the video was that the reference angle templates were cut on the CNC machine, so I did one for 15 degrees [12 segments] and another for 10 degrees [18 segments]. It took about 10 minutes to design the double template run, and less than 30 minutes to set up and run on the CNC.

IMG_20180901_085120_355 (Copy).jpg

If they're as precise as I expect the CNC to be, the segments should fit. We'll see. I'll post the results.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:36 am

Yes that is a great looking sled Loyd and should work well.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby rgulley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:57 pm

While I was checking out the sled, I also saw this rig for gluing the segmented rings together. A novel approach, I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6TnFWVXVk
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:19 am

http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/TVW_Video/biangle%20sled.wmv

Until I can find out how to stream videos from the Club's server, you'll have to download this and open it in your video viewer.

For Foxfire users: I just noticed that if you LEFT click on this link [and you have a video viewer installed] you'll get a window inviting you to open the video. Not so with Chrome or Edge.

This video is in the Library of the TVW Website. I created it to show the advantages of using the double angle sled. If you watch carefully, you'll see that you reference all cuts to the same edge of the workpiece. This is is an advantage because you can pay attention to making sure that the edge you use as a reference -- the edge that you place against the fences of the sled as you cut each segment -- is straight and true. You don't necessarily need to have the other [non-reference] side parallel to the reference if you use the sled as shown in the video. And the accuracy of the sled is dependent on the accuracy of the angle between the fences which is set with a template. The sled orientation as well as that of the fences -- as long as it is firmly set in the tablesaw's miter slots with no play -- isn't critical. But for you to achieve the best accuracy you must use the correct edge of the fence [not the back fence in the video]

This advantage over using single fence the method of flipping the workpiece is significant since by flipping your workpiece you must have exactly parallel edges and the angle of the single fence must be very accurate.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:00 pm

The flip and cut / single fence sled is here: http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/TVW_Video/very%20short%20seg%20flip%20cutting.wmv

As you can see with this implementation, you need to have the workpiece edges exactly parallel with one another and the angle set of the sled fence exactly at the correct angle. If not, the ring will not close on itself.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Tutorials and Videos