3 d CNC Carving

Tutorials and member videos will be posted here. Rmember that all copyrighted material is forbidden without express permission of the owner.

3 d CNC Carving

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I thought some might like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCEvbU_BXQ
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: 3 d CNC Carving

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 pm

I haven't gotten into 3d CNC for two good reasons. The first is that Aspire costs too much for my blood since I'm not a professional woodworker meaning that I don't sell my stuff. Second is that I don't visualize things in 3d. Never have. Born with amblyopia and didn't have it corrected in time leaves me with almost total blindness in my left eye. You need two eyes to see 3d so everything looks flat to me; kind of on a tilted plane sort of thing. I use that for an excuse whenever I need one [Oh! I didn't see that since bla, bla, bla, works pretty well for a lot of things]. However, I can still see an in-the-round carving because I can move about, or move it about, to appreciate it.

If you wish to be entertained you can watch me trying to thread a needle, or watch me dig a gouge into a workpiece when I approach the tool rest without thinking [which happens often]. Or see me setting up the X,Y axis on the ZERO point on the CNC -- I'm sure that's particularly interesting to see. When Next-Wave came out with the touch plate for accurate Z axis set up it saved me a lot of frustration.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: 3 d CNC Carving

Postby rgulley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 am

Vcarve Pro has improved greatly. You can import 3D models into it and resize and create toolpaths. New vector editing improvements as well. You just can't create 3d components. Geoff Rhoem uses that software and he says he does a lot of 3D stuff.
rgulley
Site Admin

Return to Tutorials and Videos