Torsion boxes

Tutorials and member videos will be posted here. Rmember that all copyrighted material is forbidden without express permission of the owner.

Torsion boxes

Postby loyd » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:24 pm

http://www.core77.com/posts/26334/A-Look-at-Torsion-Boxes

This may be the best answer to the Blue Monarch project. It's posted over there too, but I thought others may be interested.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Torsion boxes

Postby loyd » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Torsion boxes

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:23 am

The need to have a torsion box constructed on a plane surface to prevent the potato chip outcome presents challenges, but the one scheme that appealed to me was the cross sting thing. To test that out, I constructed an experiment using my I-beams [which are pretty straight by the way] and a couple of adjustable horses. The photos are pretty much self explanatory but suffice it to say that they need to just kiss in the middle of the whole deal without one actually distorting the other. To do that with standard horses and wedges could be a challenge, so I used a clamp in opposing configuration to accomplish it on my adjustable horses.

IMG_20170720_110730_509.jpg

IMG_20170720_110752_712.jpg

Needless to say: The stings need to be tight and lifted from the surrounding stuff to make the deal work. I stretched the string and used blocks of wood cut from the same stick to lift the strings above the I-beams. It was almost perfect but using the opposing jaw clamp to lift a corner to just make them kiss confirmed that the I-beams are in the same plane.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Tutorials and Videos