Printing genealogy charts

This Forum is for use of woodworkers with an interest in Genealogy and related subjects

Printing genealogy charts

Postby loyd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm

We had a discussion yesterday on how to get wall charts of genealogy. Someone suggested McMurr's in Tullahoma. I went there today with a jump file to see what they could do with it. I took an EMF File (.EMF) which I got by Exporting the file from a RootsMagic chart. The operator didn't recognize that extension type but when I told her she could open it in MS Paint she did so and printed the 24 x 48 inch wall chart you see below with no trouble. She said they can use extensions like JPG or PDF and now EMF. RootsMagic will export in EMF, JPG, PNG, or BMP and a few others that I didn't recognize but not PDF.

IMG_20180213_134201_115.jpg

They will take emailed files to print or you can do what I did and take it there on a jump file. They printed it while I was there but they weren't busy at that time. The card below shows how to email them a file.

mcmurr.jpg

I was pretty amazed that the chart cost me less than $6.00. I was expecting a lot more.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Printing genealogy charts

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

WOW that is a good deal! I used a plotter about 20+ years ago to make one about that size but a lot of names have been added to my tree since then so need to get a new one. I enjoyed the meeting although I couldn't hear much of what was being said.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: Printing genealogy charts

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am

I'm with you on the hearing front. My new hearing aids are much better than the old ones but they can't cure the problem with people talking too fast nor when there is more than one conversation going on at a time. The use of the projector has been a real help on the hearing front. Doyle got that long HDMI cable since the last meeting so we can use the laptop computers to advantage now. If anyone has an idea of how to help with the hearing please chime in. I doubt that Sid and I are the only ones having problems with that.

I learn a lot at each meeting but the main purpose of the meeting is to get into how to use DNA with genealogy. We have a pretty wide range of skill levels [from new genealogist to very accomplished ones] in the participants. That's what we're trying to get ahead of before DNA can be addressed. We're making headway on that and I think we're about to the point where DNA will be the focus.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Genealogy