23andMe genealogy aids

This Forum is for use of woodworkers with an interest in Genealogy and related subjects

23andMe genealogy aids

Postby loyd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 pm

I just noticed that 23andMe has added a feature to their genealogy tools to help with cousinship determination.

new gen presentation.jpg

This should help in the endless discussion of where does a 3rd cousin fit into my genealogy tree. Of course, these predictions are a bit iffy because someone who looks like a 3rd cousin [i.e. descended from a 2nd great grandparent] could be a second once removed, etc. But it's a help.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: 23andMe genealogy aids

Postby sid_matheny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Always something new in these genealogy sites. But I still get stuck too often. :x
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 am

We all do. I didn't know how far in the weeds I was until I joined in to the genealogy group. There are some folks in that group that are so far ahead of me in use of the research tools that it makes me feel that 23andMe got my Neanderthal percentage wrong. I'm learning some things but don't expect to catch up to those folks. That gets to the competitive thing in me but helps with learning the tools. :geek:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

Untitled.jpg

Interesting discussion on Facebook on Genetic Genealogy Tips & Techniques Facebook page. Some experts were appalled with it because it's too simplistic. Others pointed out that for newbies, it's a great tool. Go figure. Some experts are helpful others are pretty self centered. Just like in woodworking. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 am

I get hints 2 or 3 times a week on Ancestry.com but some don't pan out. My DNA there shows over 1,000 4th cousins or closer.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Return to Genealogy