DNA Genealogy

This Forum is for use of woodworkers with an interest in Genealogy and related subjects

Re: DNA Genealogy

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Have you uploaded to GEDmatch yet? Lots of different spreadsheets there but I am having a little trouble understanding it all. Guess I will have to do some more studying for while. :oops:
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: DNA Genealogy

Postby loyd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Yep! I've uploaded my son's genome, my wife's genome, and my own genome. There are several ways to look at the data there, but it can be overwhelming. Where on the company websites you get dozens of matches, on GEDcom you get thousands.

Pay attention to the settings when you decide to generate a spreadsheet. If you pick 7 cM and 700 SNPs for your base you'll get matches from back before the genealogy data is available.

I've got 4 accounts that I manage -- my stepson's isn't uploaded to GEDcom -- and I've found that anything with less than about 15 to 20 cMs [higher would probably more useful] is so far back in time that it's useless unless you have standard genealogy data back into the 1700s and wish to confirm something. If you, like me, are struggling with people in mid-1800s the lower settings will swamp you with noise.

Now all this likely changes when you do a Dusty has and started using DNAGEDcom.com, but I'm not there yet and I suspect that you aren't either. We need to get Fred to give us a class on how to use that tool. Until I have more spare time I'm not going to spend a lot of effort on this tool.

What I have done [mostly] is to order up a spreadsheet, copy it to the clipboard, and download it to my machine. I can then paste it into an Excel sheet and sort it. If you're articulate with Excel formulae, you can ask specific questions of the data. But by sorting [low to high] by chromosome, start position, and end position you can do some stuff visually without a lot of code. For example: If looking at the spread of an entry any entry below that whose start position is greater than the end position of the proceeding entry and less than the end position is an overlap at that location on that chromosome [meaning that the subjects are related in some measure]. You can see that the task can get really tough. Hence, the DNAGEDcom product.

BTW: for a $10 monthly fee there are what is called Tier One features that swizzle the results in various ways. I've messed around with it but haven't spent enough time to give it a grade.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Previous

Return to Genealogy