CNC Box

Forum rules
Here you can Show Off. Just like at Club meetings during the Show and Tell session.

CNC Box

Postby loyd » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:39 pm

A box. This box is pretty basic except for the horse carving on the top. It's about 16 inches long. The lid is attached with a piano hinge since I've made if for my great grandson. I still need another coat of lacquer on it but otherwise it's done.

The carving was done on the CNC using a model from Vectric's inventory of 3d clip art. I modified the model to get the size and depth that I thought would be appropriate. It took a couple of hours on the CNC to carve using first a 1/8" ball nose bit to rough and a .150 mm [0.059"] ball nose bit to finish.

20191223_155610 (Copy).jpg

20191223_155620 (Copy).jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: CNC Box

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Great looking piece of woodwork. a happy great-grandson. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:51 am

Looks great Loyd and I really like the shape of the cutout. The horse looks smooth and perfect.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:20 am

The first idea for the box was a place for him to store his tools such as Lincoln Logs and such [hence the size and construction], but the horse turned out so well that I think it's becoming a 'what-not' box to be preserved to when he's older. I guess his mother may have some decisions to make about that. A three year old boy probably won't make too much of it anyway so maybe she can explain it and convince him that keeping it on a shelf for a while may be the best approach. Up to them once it transfers ownership. Either way, I enjoyed making it and the horse turned out better than I expected.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Show & Tell