Mix and match

Forum rules
Here you can Show Off. Just like at Club meetings during the Show and Tell session.

Mix and match

Postby loyd » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Segmented vessels fell out of my favorite things to do but I revived the practice for a couple of presents lately. I've thought for a long time that adding carving to segmented stuff would be interesting. Back in 2006 I did a segmented vase and hand carved a vine around the waist and I messed around with that idea for a few turnings before abandoning it. If you look carefully you can make out the vine. Here's #255 from 2006:
255e (Copy).jpg
My wife accepted this piece to be displayed on top of her planter desk in the living room.

When I got the CNC machine I decided that when I grew up I'd make a carving to go around the waist of a segmented vessel so I'm in the process of doing that now. I figured that if I don't grow up soon I might miss out on the chance; so when I got the new version of VcarvePro that enables 3d carving I decided to try it.

IMG_20180128_113305_800 (Copy).jpg

This is obviously a work in progress. The shape needs a little fine tuning but the concept is plain to see in this photo. I've learned a few things that will affect my next try at this concept.

I picked out a crown from the 3d clip-art gallery in the program and resized it to fit my needs. Normally this art would be a lot larger but by resizing it and using very small tool bits, the crown is at least recognizable in the ring.

Not counting the waste blocks at both ends, there are 16 rings of 12 segments each [192 segments]. The feature ring with the carving has 6 carved and 6 plane segments. That ring is 1 1/2" wide to provide enough real estate for the carving.

The jury is still out on the growing up part.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Mix and match

Postby sid_matheny » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Oh yeah I can see a lot of ways this would really be a big plus!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 am

I have confidence. It will turn our great! :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Well, it's done except for a few coats of lacquer tomorrow; if the shop's warm enough.

IMG_20180129_160129_548.jpg

If you squint you can see the crown in the indented window on the feature ring. Pretty small. Maybe it'll stand out better when the lacquer gets on it and some buffing is done.

The overall appearance isn't right. In order to not curve too much on the carved ring I had to add width to the ring by adding two adjacent rings. That extended the flat area at the middle, so I added another ring on top and that pushed the carved ring down making the vessel look top heavy. Oh well, it was an experiment after all. Next time I'll learn something else.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Well, it's done. My turning #385 [of record] has 15 rings of 12 segments each. The center ring is made of 6 CNC carved segments and 6 plain ones. The carving was done in the center ring of Cherry. The adjacent rings are cherry as is the bottom. The top is a piece of mahogany. Finish is 1 coat lacquer sanding sealer and 5 coats of gloss lacquer [Deft rattle can]. Wet sanded to 1200 grit and buffed with Beal three stage system.

turning #385.jpg

It had 16 rings but it didn't look right so the lowest one became shavings and I think it looks better.

I was impressed by how well the CNC carved that low relief crown down in the rectangle so I decided to show it off.

Untitled 2.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby henry » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Nice work Loyd.
henry

Postby sid_matheny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Now folks will want names on their turned gifts. It did a great job with the crown.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:23 am

Hey! There's an idea. Names! Yep! That's a real possibility. Thanks Sid! :!: :idea: :ugeek:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Show & Tell