Turning from elm tree on family farm

Forum rules
Here you can Show Off. Just like at Club meetings during the Show and Tell session.

Turning from elm tree on family farm

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am

We had to remove an elm tree that was shedding large limbs on the front lawn of the farm house and maybe if not removed it would have shed one on top of someone's car. But that tree had been on that spot since before 1940 despite Grandma's attempts to destroy it in the early years to keep it away from the porch. Later it became an attraction for family members returning from various venues across the U.S. and several continents. But it had to go, so I saved enough of it to make some turnings. This is the first and maybe the last. You probably know that Elm has interlocking grain; i.e., grain that weaves itself from one layer to the next. That, of course, leaves much in the way of end grain which doesn't polish up really well. Here is a hollow form vessel #381.
IMG_20171003_122222_076.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Turning from elm tree on family farm

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Looks like you got er' done. Looks good too and I know you had to fight it.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: Turning from elm tree on family farm

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 pm

The reason for the walnut lip is that the end of the on-end grain just chipped away, so I cleaned up the top and used epoxy to glue on the walnut and it worked OK.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Show & Tell