Mahogany

Forum rules
Here you can Show Off. Just like at Club meetings during the Show and Tell session.

Mahogany

Postby loyd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:48 pm

I've not done a lot of work with Mahogany but now that I've made a couple of things I'm impressed. This little box is made from the other side of a re-sawed mahogany board that I used for another box previously posted [the box for concealing the tv remotes]. There were a couple of dings in it but I was able to avoid them [mostly ;) ]. Here are the results:

outside.JPG

open.JPG

It's about 6 x 9 inches by 3 high.

The lining is automotive headliner [another suggestion by Ross several years back]. That stuff is available from Surr's in Fayetteville and it's inexpensive compared to any other comparable material. It has a foam backing which I glue to a piece of chip board [in the picture framing area of Hobby Lobby] which is also cheap. Chip board is like the stuff on the back of legal pads but come in large sheets. The stuff I got was $4 for [I'm estimating here] about 36 x 30 inches. Just spray on adhesive to attach the headliner to the chip board, let it dry, and then glue the chipboard to the surface you want it to cover. In my case, I covered the bottom of the box and the inside of the top -- covered up the exposed plywood.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Mahogany

Postby southpaw57 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:39 am

Good looking project. :geek:
southpaw57

Re: Mahogany

Postby sid_matheny » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:29 am

Great project and I like the liner also.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Return to Show & Tell