question

Here you'll get information and instruction on how to use the forums and other forum related discussions.

question

Postby loyd » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:46 pm

By my count, there have been 6 forum members who have logged in from the second of September 2017 up to this point -- October 28. There may have been others who have lurked but who can tell about their interest or benefit from their input. In other words: what value are they to the rest of us?

As usual, the few that have requested login credentials in the past months have not actually logged in even once.

I still get emails with very good information that would be really good to see on the relative forum and of interest to all of us; and I sense that to be their reason for sending it to me. But, I remain opposed to posting other people's content for two reasons: The first is rather selfish I admit because I feel that they should post their content themselves and not depend on the local serf to serve their desires. The second reason relates to sourcing. If I post something, I feel I'm responsible for the source; that is: to know of its veracity or to acknowledge the source itself -- attribution.

I post this hoping to get some feedback relating to a course of action.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: question

Postby southpaw57 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:51 am

How is the access counted if I never actually "logout"? :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm

All you get to know is who has been active and the last time they were. Not how long, how often, nor if they're camped there, but if you log on and stay, the system will eventually log you off.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby bob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Loyd,
I do not think there is a problem with club members that have signed in and do not send messages. I for one check the messages every day and interested in information that you have shared with. As you know I have a communications problem personally. I do enjoy the comments that a few of you share with the Tennessee Valley Woodworking Club. I do encourage others to share their information with the club, ask for and make comments.

Bob Addington
bob

Postby loyd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:22 pm

I do not think there is a problem with club members that have signed in and do not send messages. I for one check the messages every day and interested in information that you have shared with. As you know I have a communications problem personally. I do enjoy the comments that a few of you share with the Tennessee Valley Woodworking Club. I do encourage others to share their information with the club, ask for and make comments.

I'm talking about a different thing Bob! There are good reasons for not posting and I agree that actually posting is not required. I see you checking in very often and appreciate that there are people who check the forums even if they don't post.

What I was pointing out with my comment on Saturday is that there are people who ask for credentials and never use them. To keep non-club members from piling on our forums one of our Forum monitors goes through the registration for them to ensure that they are indeed members of the TVW club. None of us begrudge someone asking for their credentials to reinstated or for a new member to be registered, but it takes a few minutes for us to prepare a registration for someone and when they then never use it it's a bit frustrating.

I hope you weren't offended. Didn't mean that to be the case.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 am

Maybe it needs to be set up where if you don't login you can't get onto the forum. :?:
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd rather have lurkers able to see whether or not they login. I don't think very many people actually look at the forum at all by the way. I'm guessing very few actually lurk. Don't know how to tell that, but there may be a way to find out, however, the problem is and I guess always will be content. If there isn't something to see, why look.

Personally, I have gotten a lot out of it; for example: How would I ever have known about recalls?

I guess it serves a purpose even if few people participate.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Site Information