WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BANDSAW

Anything pertaining to the machine itself including accessories, jigs, and fixtures

Re: WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BANDSAW

Postby sid_matheny » Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Glad everyone liked the video. Loyd if you contact Carter they may be able to help you with new guides.

http://www.carterproducts.com/support/contact/
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:34 pm

To elaborate on Sid's reply of "it may be time for a new saw". Yes, it may be time for a new band saw or at least, a different one. The 1 HP motor on my Powermatic model 044 14" band saw burned up a couple of days ago. The bearing in the front housing seized up and the motor overheated. After exhausting every possible solution, short of paying Powermatic over $400 for a new motor, it may be time to evaluate another saw.
Here is where you come in!!!!!!!!! if you have purchased a band saw in lately, I would be interested in what brand you bought and why you selected that particular item. Give me some feed-back on what to be looking for and what to watch out for.
I will be camped on the forum to hear from all you "experts". This should be a good use for the forum.
Thanks. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Well I have a Grizzly G0555 with riser block and really like it. I did smoke the motor 2 or 3 years ago and had it rebuilt locally for about half the price of a new motor. If you like your saw it might pay to have the motor rebuilt and repair what you need as far as bearings.
This is the G0555 I have.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info Sid. Do you know who you had to rebuild the motor for you? If so, send me a name or phone number. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Mon May 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Can't remember his name but I think the company name is:

Warren County Electric Motor Service
8142 Smithville HWY
McMinnville, TN
Phone: 931-934-3058

I think I got his name from Stanley but I'm not sure. I had to leave mine 2 or 3 days as I remember as he stays busy. I think his first name may have been Mickey but not sure of that either. :oops:
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:42 am

I will contact him. Thanks. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby southpaw57 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 am

Well, using the forum paid off, again. Thanks to Sid, who knew of a person that rewinds motors, I am able to get my band saw motor repaired.
Loyd, the forum is still a useful tool for someone looking for help solving a problem. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Tue May 24, 2016 1:45 pm

And there I was lamenting the low usage and thinking of putting it to death. New life. :D
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Got the band saw motor back this morning. Runs great. Thanks to Sid for giving me the information on the fellow to rebuild the motor.
And to Loyd for maintaining the forum so that I could find the info I needed to get the motor rebuilt. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby sid_matheny » Thu May 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Glad I could be of help! 8-)
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

PreviousNext

Return to Band Saws