Numbering and tracking of your turnings.

Bowls, platters, table tops, etc. Things mounted on a faceplate or in a chuck that aren't covered elsewhere in the Turniing Forum

Numbering and tracking of your turnings.

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:05 am

About 100 years ago [actually May 1997] when I started turning, someone suggested that I number my wood turnings. I started with the first -- I turned that at Tom Cowan's shop under his supervision and instruction on his Powermatic 90 -- and have attempted to continue the tradition ever since. As I branched out into other types of turnings [table legs, kitchen utensils, etc.] I decided that the only thing that got a number would be decorative items like bowls, vases, and the like. So, my pepper mills, ice cream scoops, and the like don't get a number -- after all, where would you pot a number on that sort of thing and who cares anyway. The recipients of my numbered turnings seem to get some buzz out of the numbers.

The list of my numbered items has the number, short description, height, diameter, finish, and completion date. Since January 2009, I've linked the number to a picture most of my turnings which I keep in my "Woodworking" folder on my computer. The Excel listing also has noteworthy remarks, if there are any, as well.

Here's an example of a line in my Excel file:

#360 Maple bowl Bowl 6.24 9.25 Lacquer and wax/beal 6/15/2014 Done with Beal system full plus hand work

I recommend that new turners start numbering and tracking their turnings, or at least the important ones.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Numbering and tracking of your turnings.

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 am

Good idea, Loyd. I do not put numbers on my items, but I sign and date each one of them. I also keep an Excel spreadsheet, noting the item, wood type and where it went.
southpaw57

Re: Numbering and tracking of your turnings.

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 am

I like the ability to "remember" what it was I sent or gave to someone; if for no other reason to not gift them with the same thing again. :oops: An example: I just mailed a segmented vessel [see other post] to my nephew and his wife. I can look at my spreadsheet and see what I sent including the photo from the link I put in the number field.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Open forms All turnings like bowls, etc