2013 redux

Spindles and other items mounted between the head stock and tail stock. Ex: Legs, candles, pens, etc.

2013 redux

Postby loyd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Can this be so? I looked back to when I made the little table [a copy of the one that the wife saw at a friend's house and liked] with the turned legs. It was August 2013. How can time pass like that? Anyway, I whined a bit about making the legs at the time but they turned out OK [meaning the wife liked them]. I decided to make another one of those tables; for a granddaughter this time. But this time I'm not going to make the same legs. This set of legs will be a personal design instead of copy of the original.

Having put off doing these legs long enough I decided to bury my procrastination and just start on them today. So now I have four 18" x 1 1/2" round sticks and a drawing of what I hope to be legs.

Stay tuned! :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: 2013 redux

Postby loyd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Well after a bit of anguish I've got those legs roughed out -- that means that there's a lot of sanding and trimming to do. Thought I'd share them with you.

spindles.jpg

Ever hear of case hardened wood? Well it turns out that this walnut [a gift -- so it's hard to complain] tears out even with very sharp tools. It's not too bad near the old surface but when you get very far from that the wood turns into splinters rather than chips. This wood was dried in a kiln but not properly. It's been in my shop for several years so it is dry but it was probably not dry on the inside coming out of the kiln.

It'll make acceptable legs for my application after I sand in some Danish oil and fill the splintered surfaces with slurry, but I won't recommend this woodpile to a friend.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Between Centers Turning