One more

Any form of wood turning using wood parts glued together. Staves, ring segments, laminations, etc.

One more

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Well, I figured I'd made my last segmented vessel a few years ago but there seems to be interest in a certain quarter for another one. So here he goes again!

After making so many of those things over the years I did a bit of soul searching and decided that I was tired of all the plain ole carpentry involved in cutting N rings, each having X segments and having them all match perfectly or suffer the indignity of showing gaps where they didn't belong. That led me to the decision that I would spend my shop time on other than precise carpentry. Since I didn't think I could find anyone to cut the segments for me so I'd get the instant gratification of turning the final shape, the decision was to not make more of them. That was about 2 years ago but now I'm doing another. The N this time is pretty modest [about 10] and the X is 16 so the N x X = 160 segments at 11.25 degree angles plus I'm incorporating a 2 1/2" stave section of 8 members in the design. As usual, the challenge is to get the blade perpendicular and the Incra sled calibrated and then get the 11.25 degree miter angle set up and tested. I've taught the seminar on segmented turning 4 or 5 times since 2004 and still had to relearn the process myself since not having made one in so long. But I have most of the segments cut and clamped up ready for gluing.

I'll share a picture here if it turns out good. Otherwise, I'll just keep mum on the subject and hope no one calls me on it. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: One more

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing it finished Loyd. I just can't seem to get into segmented items. Guess I'm just too lazy. I do have a couple of pepper mills in the works and hope to finish them tomorrow if all go according to plan. No segments though! I'll wait a few days to buff.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Well, the project continues with all the drama and intrigue expected. I got the angles adjusted really well and cut most of the rings; testing the fit each time. All of the sudden after 6 or 7 rings the next one didn't close tight. I went back and checked the settings and they were all good. So -- having enough wood left on the work piece for that ring -- I redid the non-closing ring. That one didn't close either. Checked the settings again and they all look good. Grabbed another chunk of wood -- this time thin stock instead of the 3/4" thick stuff that didn't match -- to see if the wood was deflecting the blade or some other far fetched theory was at work. That ring didn't close either. But the settings are still exactly where they were. The sled is square with the table. The blade is square with the table. The Incra setting is exactly where it has been through all the other segments and the adjustable tri-square which is set half way between the 11 and 11 1/2 degree setting still measures everything as required. BTW: The angle for 16 segments is 11.25 degrees.

The whole thing is a mystery to me. A thought experiment suggests the only other thing that could be causing this behavior is that the work piece isn't parallel so that the angles are referenced to non-parallel edges. But it seems to me that the amount that the edges would need to be non-parallel would be pretty drastic to open those segments.

I'll look at it again in the morning when I'm fresh, but if anyone has a suggestion, I'd be very receptive. :oops:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:51 pm

If you are using a subfence, any chance it is not tight? Yet another reason I do not like segments.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 pm

I measure with the tri-square against the face of the attached MDF fence and that's the reference I use, but if that fence is even a little bit loose it could explain the problem. I'll check that in the morning Sid. Thanks.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 pm

The fence wasn't loose. That would be too easy. I milled a new workpiece and made sure it was exactly parallel side to side and square all around. That one closed to within a whisker, so I'm going to go with the theory that I was too lax with my milling operation. [Since I can't think of anything else. Anyway I've moved on to the turning phase so I'm not as cranky today. Social life is intruding into my shop time so maybe tomorrow I'll get back to it. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:53 am

364-16.JPG
Segmented vesse

Here it is. Don't look too close for gaps between segments. I've already made my excuses for that.

This is #364 in my numbered collections of turnings that qualify for numbering.

About 100 years ago [actually May 1997] when I started turning, someone suggested that I number my wood turnings. I started with the first -- I turned that at Tom Cowan's shop under his supervision and instruction on his Powermatic 90 -- and have attempted to continue the tradition ever since. As I branched out into other types of turnings [table legs, kitchen utensils, etc.] I decided that the only thing that got a number would be decorative items like bowls, vases, and the like. So, my pepper mills, ice cream scoops, and the like don't get a number -- after all, where would you pot a number on that sort of thing and who cares anyway. The recipients of my numbered turnings seem to get some buzz out of the numbers.

The list of my numbered items has the number, short description, height, diameter, finish, and completion date. Since January 2009, I've linked the number to a picture most of my turnings which I keep in my "Woodworking" folder on my computer. The Excel listing also has noteworthy remarks, if there are any, as well.

Here's an example of a line in my Excel file:

#360 Maple bowl Bowl 6.24 9.25 Lacquer and wax/beal 6/15/2014 Done with Beal system full plus hand work

I recommend that new turners start numbering and tracking their turnings, or at least the important ones.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:41 pm

That would make a great center piece for anyone. Another job well done Loyd.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:56 am

Looking good, Loyd! Great job, as usual. :geek:
southpaw57

Return to Segmented Turning