2014 Segmented Turning Workshop

Any form of wood turning using wood parts glued together. Staves, ring segments, laminations, etc.

2014 Segmented Turning Workshop

Postby loyd » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 pm

The survey at the beginning of the year asked for another workshop on basic segmented woodturning. I dug out the materials this afternoon (I'm bored and too lazy to go to the shop :oops: ). All of the materials are there but the Club's agenda is so full this Spring that I wonder about the wisdom of adding another event. Maybe! Maybe not! :?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: 2014 Segmented Turning Workshop

Postby sdunn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:40 pm

I would think most of this decision is up to the professor. AKA Published Loyd.
sdunn

Postby loyd » Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 am

There has been interest expressed for a workshop on Segmented Turning.
We have had three workshops on Basic Segmented Turning since 2004 but none in the past few years. If there is sufficient interest in a repeat of these workshops this year we’ll do another. The 4 hour hands on workshop involves design and planning, laying out, and the basic calculations for creating a segmented vessel of your design. The workshop uses audio visual presentation of the process and video showing the actual operations. This is a basic class which assumes that you know little if anything about the process but you’ll leave the workshop able to go to your own shop and make your own vessel.
If you are interested in participating in this 4 hour hands on workshop please contact me at ackerman1@charter.net. If there is enough interest, we’ll schedule the event for sometime this summer or early fall.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue May 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Loyd as I remember you gave a class on this a couple of years ago. I have only been a member just over 3 years. Maybe my mind is going! :cry:

Sid
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby sid_matheny » Tue May 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue May 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Sounds about right. Let's see who responds.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Just in case someone wants to come to that class, I thought it advisable to make another since the last one I made was months ago and that was a stave/segment vase. This one will be a goblet with 13 rings and 16 segments per ring. I haven't decided yet on what will come up the middle to strengthen the stem but I have the segments all glued up into rings. I had forgotten how boring that cutting 200+ segments could be, but then realized that gluing them up isn't a walk in the park either. I remember now why I purchased the sanding drum and will get it out tomorrow to smooth out the rings so they can be stacked. This segmented turning takes the "instant gratification" out of woodturning though.

The only redeeming consequence of segmented turning is that the outcome us usually a pretty attractive present for a special occasion. Of course, that's just an opinion worth what it has cost you to read this. Other folks probably look at it differently. I thought it was pretty cool until I went past the quadrillionth turning and came to the opinion stated. :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 pm

You can do it! I have confidence in you. ;)
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:57 am

I ran all 13 rings through the drum sander and they now should have parallel sides and NO DIVITS. One can always hope. They look good but the small rings sometimes get cocked in the sander and flummox your best efforts. Yes, I know to run a stick of the same thickness through with them; and did indeed do that. But as I said, they look good and I expect a good glue up. I had a joint that didn't close on the outside of one of the rings but that's in the area that will be peeled off in turning to final shape, so no problem with that. The rest of the joints are closed which is a tribute to my Incra 5000 sled. Since the sled is graduated in 1/2 degree increments one needs to fudge the setting on the secondary detent fixture to get the 11 1/4 degree setting needed for the 16 segment ring. The setting must have been right-on since I cut all rings without changing the fixture, so there was another cause for that slightly open cut (BTW it was very slight and on the outside edge of the ring) so I'm concluding that the problem occurred when I was withdrawing the sled after the cut and abraded the edge of the part of the work piece still against the fence. There are many ways to mess up a cut when you're doing 500 of them. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Pretty good one; don't you think?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 pm

So far we have two folks step forward to attend the class. That could be a function of folks not reading the Website, Splinters, or this forum; or it could be an early indication of the interest in this topic.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Next

Return to Segmented Turning