Still doing it.

Any form of wood turning using wood parts glued together. Staves, ring segments, laminations, etc.

Still doing it.

Postby loyd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Segmented vessels are a big hit with my family so I figure I'd get a headstart on Christmas 2013 using up parts I didn't get into a finished project in December. I've learned that when you get a good setup for cutting staves it's a good idea to cut some extras and set them aside if you don't have time to finish them right away. This week I took the time to put the subject staves together with some segment rings for a few vessels.

V1 has 88 pieces including the 8 staves and V3 has 104 pieces including the 8 staves; and V2 has 120 pieces including the 8 staves.
V1 and V3 use staves from a more verticle stave section than V2. Vertical stave sections were glued up using a clamping jig but horizontal stave sections are glued up with sacrificial triangluar pieces and regular hose clamps.

346.JPG
V1

347.JPG
V3

348.JPG
V2
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Stave gluing jig

Postby loyd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:03 pm

This jig is for gluing up steep angle staves. BTW this is a derivitive of the Mike Tibbets clamp

mother of all clamps end.jpg
Vertical glue clamp for staves

This is what a shallow angle stave clamp up looks like:

IMG_6895.JPG
Clamping for shallow stave construction

The sacrificial glue blocks are easy to knock off after the glue is dry if you pay attention to grain direction. 8-) :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Still doing it.

Postby sid_matheny » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Keep 'em coming Loyd! The last one would be my pick of the three. Lots of work in each one of those,

Sid
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm partial to the third one too Sid. I think I could do a little better with the form though. The stave part is a bit more compex than the straight segmented stuff, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty well.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sdunn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm

I just got home from the monthly meeting and I must say I enjoyed it as much as any I have attended.Wood guru Loyd put on an informative and easy to understand program on staves. I even understood it.Thank you again Loyd for all your help.
sdunn

Postby loyd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 am

Aw shucks Stanley. T'warnt notin' :D
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby greg_m » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Great Meeting last night Loyd! I really enjoyed a new prospective on staves turning incorporated into segmented turning. Don, who came with me really enjoy the presentation and stated that it just reaffirmed that he was doing things correctly.

Greg
greg_m

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 am

Glad you brought Don Greg. We had a good conversation after the meeting. It's nice to find someone doing the same thing as you. Encourage Don to come to the forum and join the conversation here. Seems that a lot of folks are interested in segments and staves. I hope some of the other turners will make some and bring to S&T.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby greg_m » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Well I do know that he discussed coming to the next meeting with me, so it's likely that you'll see him again.
greg_m

Postby loyd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Good for him and you. :D
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Segmented Turning