Shifting a paradigm

Any form of wood turning using wood parts glued together. Staves, ring segments, laminations, etc.

Shifting a paradigm

Postby loyd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:10 am

:oops:
Many years ago corporate America [in my case IBM] paid for consultants to come into out conference rooms and tell us why the Japanese were eating our lunch on commodity-like products [think fax machines, printers, etc.]. The message was that we were stuck in one paradigm and we needed to shift to another. Well, after our 'expert' got done defining the word paradigm for us, he explained what he meant by it: We were in a rut and doing what we always did because we always did it that way. Well, I found out that I was stuck in a paradigm that went like: cut the angle of the segment, flip the stick, cut the other end of the segment, flip the stick, cut the other end; etc.

So, when I cut the templates for a 12 segment ring to use on my new double angle sled, I naturally cut a 15 Degree template. I used the CNC to make that template by the way and the 15 degree template made a perfect 12 segment half of a 24 segment ring. :oops: I realized about half way through the process that these segments weren't going to close on a 12 segment ring. After pondering the issue, I retreated to the computer and designed a 30 degree template. Setting that template into the sled, I made a 12 segment ring that closed very nicely.

IMG_20180902_113001_276 (Copy).jpg

The horizontal bars in the photo are an artifact from the light table on which the ring lay.

This new template [30 degrees] is symmetrical with a mark in the center to minimize skew of the sled bars. And it's prettier.

IMG_20180902_113051_565 (Copy).jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Shifting a paradigm

Postby sid_matheny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:57 pm

The joints in that ring sure look nice and tight. Ever thought about cutting the segments on the CNC?
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Re: Shifting a paradigm

Postby loyd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:01 pm

I have but gave it up pretty quick. Bob and I decided when I first started using the CNC that a saw was a much better tool for cutting edges and most other straight through cuts. Each piece would need a couple of tabs to keep it from being grabbed by the bit so ultimately a saw is in the mix.
My current project uses the CNC to put a 3d carving on the face of the feature ring. I have one turning that way and intend for the current one to have a carving every other segment; hence, the 12 segment rather than an 18 segment that I prefer.
I toyed with the prospect of using an 18 segment turning with a 9 segment feature ring and I may do that someday if my new sled pans out to not require constructing half rings to accommodate for minor angle errors with the disk sander.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to Segmented Turning