another segmented vessel

Any form of wood turning using wood parts glued together. Staves, ring segments, laminations, etc.

Re: another segmented vessel

Postby loyd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:03 am

There's a spreadsheet [Excel xls] in the Articles section of the TVW website http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/articles/PDFs/basic_seg_vessel_calc.xls

That's the one created many years ago for our shop-tour programs on the subject and I still use it. You can put your own data in place of the INPUT section that's there in blue -- it's just a place holder -- but don't put anything in the rest of the spreadsheet since that's where the formulas are. You can delete any rows you don't need; so for an eight ring vessel, you just need 8 rows and can delete the rest [or just ignore them].

By the way the segment length in the spreadsheet output is given in metric since it's a lot easier to set without dealing with decimal to fraction conversion. Or, you can covert the spreadsheet display to express the segment length in fractions by messing with the cell definition and converting it from 'Number' to 'Fractions' and set it to the precision you need; probably 16ths.

I believe that Doyle uses another program and maybe he'll share details on that with us.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 am

Sounds like you are having second, third and forth thoughts about doing this one. Understandable! :)
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 pm

IMG_20171102_145235_170 (Copy).jpg

Got most of the rings sanded today. The little ones have to mounted in a carrier to go through the drum sander and that happens maybe tomorrow. Then the rings will be assembled and turning begins.

I may have to do some re-design in the mid section since it's pretty ratty at the moment. We'll see.

And so it goes.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:35 am

vessel neck.jpg

upper mid section.jpg

vessel base.jpg

This is a hurry up an wait part of the job.

I use the Jet mini-lathe as a clamp and add three quick clams to make sure they adhere at the edges.

On the larger pieces, I use the quick clamps if they reach and resort to weights otherwise. It's important to keep the edges closed up so using weight has its hazards. The reach of the quick clamps isn't deep enough so old fashioned furniture clamps come in handy. In case you haven't heard it before: "You can never have too many clamps!"
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Well today was a black letter day indeed. I looked at the remaining two rings [those not yet glued into the stack of rings] and found powder post tracings in the red maple so I discarded them and made a replacement ring out of walnut. Then I looked carefully at a ring in which I had spotted tracings earlier and, after trying to justify keeping it, instead took the parting tool and removed it from the stack to be replaced by another ring without bug traces. That's where it stands at the moment with me having to find a 40 inch long 1 1/2" wide chunk of maple without powder post beetles and make a replacement ring. But that's for another day.

Lesson learned: When you're going to spend many, many hours cutting segments and gluing them into rings, smart money is on being really careful about wood quality. :oops:

BTW: Cutting a ring out of the middle of a glued up stack of rings isn't for the light of heart. :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm

ready for sanding.jpg

At this point it's all glued together and all that remains is a few hours with a power sander and cleaning up the snout and base. The turning has been pretty straight forward but the size [16" tall and 11" diameter] presented a few alignment issues. The sanding can probably start at 120 grit but may need a few strokes at 100. A sharp 1/2" gouge made that doable.

The double ended chuck grip is a real help when these things get big. I put one of the Stronghold chucks on the head stock end and the other Stronghold on the tailstock. The vessel's base is in the #3 jaws on one chuck at the tail end and the snout is on a #2 chuck expanded in the opening at the head end. That keeps the thing very solid while the final turning is done.

The plan calls for gloss Deft lacquer, wet sanding, and the Beal system. But first comes the sanding.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Oh man is your step-son going to be happy! Can't wait to see it all finished and buffed.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby rgulley » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:16 pm

This is why someone would dare to even start a segmented project. It's looking good Loyd.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 am

Great looking project! :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

It's done at last. 451 pieces including the plug I put in the bottom. It's my turning #383 and becomes a Christmas present for my step-son because I drew his name in the annual family drawing. It has 2 coats of lacquer sanding sealer and 5 coats of gloss lacquer. Wet sanded with 600 grit wet/dry and mineral spirits followed by buffing with the Beal system using Tripoli, then diamond, then Carnauba wax.

383 (Copy).jpg

It now sits in the closet until it's wrapped for the big day [assuming I can get the wife to do the wrapping].

Now on to the next project.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

PreviousNext

Return to Segmented Turning