Shark stability story

Computer Numerical Control

Shark stability story

Postby loyd » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:32 pm

I've always wondered if you turn off the Shark CNC machine in the middle of a job and then reenergize it would the controller maintain the physical position or would it jump to a new one. I had the opportunity to test that today with a project underway.

I've made clocks for family and friends using Clockit inserts. I, for some [unknown] reason, programmed the clock insert hole too small by about 1/4" in the diameter. It didn't look right and I had to shut down the machine to attend to another task, so rather than moving the router head to a parking place on the side of the machine, I left it over night at the zero spot hoping that I could return to the project and increase the hole size.
IMG_20170621_135216_458 (Copy).jpg

I returned to the project, and after reprogramming the tool path, turned the machine back on. It didn't move, and when I ran the corrected tool path, it cut the hole in the right place, BUT the hole was still too tight by a few thousands of an inch. So I went back to the computer and reprogrammed it again to increase the hole size just a bit more and re-run the program. This time it worked out OK with a good snug fit for the clock insert. BTW: Since I had to remove the bit to try the fit of the clock insert, I had to re-zero the Z axis each time I went back to the job.

IMG_20170621_184313_325 (Copy).jpg

More on the "Parking Place" statement. I learned a long time ago not to leave my router in a router table because it can cause the tabletop to sag ever so slightly. When I started using the Shark, I continued that practice to prevent a sag in the gantry that holds the router assembly that weighs several pounds. Just a precaution but that's what experience is all about.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Shark stability story

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm

It is good to know stayed pat at zero. I do leave my router in the router table but maybe I need to remove it when it's not being used. Wish I had room for a shark but guess I can do without one with no place to put it.
Loyd have you ever tried engraving your name on the bottom of a bowl with the shark? I saw a video a few days ago where the guy used his laser to do it and thought a shark would do that is there were enough height clearance.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:44 am

I don't recall the Z axis maximum [I'll look into that and let you know] but most bowls would fit into the Shark. A signature could be done by creating a toolpath from a imported image -- sign on a piece of paper and scan it sort of thing -- but the hollow form of a bowl could cause a problem with vibrations. The Shark gantry is solid but the bowl itself could vibrate with the carving operation. Of course, the laser attachment would overcome the vibration problem. Rgulley may have some thoughts on that. He was thinking of getting one of them.

I think it would be easier to just get out your Dremel etching tool and sign it.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:55 am

Another option: use a left-handed pen that writes really small. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 am

Is that left handed pen out for hire?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd