Vinyl for templates

Computer Numerical Control

Vinyl for templates

Postby rgulley » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:21 pm

If anyone is interested, the vinyl I used when CNCing text was Oracal 631. Here's a link for 24" X 10 yd -
[url][/https://www.uscutter.com/ORACAL-631-Exhibition-Cal-Vinyl-24-x-10-Yard-Rollurl]
rgulley
Site Admin

Re: Vinyl for templates

Postby loyd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:13 pm

After seeing how that looked at the meeting last week I really wanted to try it out. I looked on Amazon and found this:

Oracal 631 Vinyl 12" X 5ft. Roll Matte Finish (Black, 1 Roll) Sold by: VViViD Vinyl $7.41

IMG_20180924_155908_237 (Copy).jpg

This is what a cheapskate does to try something out. It's not much but enough to check the concept. 8-)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:01 am

We used the vinyl on the Parks plaque and I had trouble removing it. A lot of the adhesive residue remained on the wood. The wood had been sprayed with shellac/sanding sealer. when applying the vinyl I got off a little and pulled it back up and applied again. I then rubbed it down WELL with a small block of wood. I think the problem was operator error in application.
Also, after pulling was not removing vinyl well, I tried a scraper (a bad mistake). then I used a wide sharp chisel and shaved the remainder off. If I had done all of it that way, problem would have been avoided.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 am

What about just applying the vinyl directly on bare wood? Does the barrier coat help/required? I'm glad this thread is happening before I spend a lot of time on a new project.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 pm

I need some advice. I tried the vinyl mask using a 60deg V bit on an old saying V-Carve. Bit was half inch 60 degree bit with depth of 0.2". This is what it was supposed to look like.
elevator.jpg

The carving process pealed the centers off of O's and other small character inside parts and generally left rough edges around several letters. After pondering it a while, I just pealed the mask off of the work piece.

My process was pretty naive since I neglected to put a clear coat on the work piece, so if the mask did work it probably would have had the bleeding problem.

What's the process I need to use? I'm on hold until I get a better idea of what I'm doing. :oops: :oops:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 am

Sorry to be so long getting back to this thread. I've never tried it on bare wood. I think the spraying before applying the vinyl, and spraying again after cutting, is supposed to help seal the vinyl to the wood and prevent seeping. I think that would be more important for open pore woods like oak. Maple or cheery might work without. The small sample I brought to the meeting was cedar and it was sprayed b4 applying. After cutting (which had a goof in it), I sprayed half the board with clear finish and left the other half 'raw'. After it dried, we stripped the mask at the meeting and I saw no difference.
I think the biggest factor is getting the vinyl down smooth (without repositioning), and pressing the vinyl down with a hard smooth surface.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks for the advice. Using the vinyl is a lot less messy than the alternative approach.
I looked at the bit I used that tore the vinyl and saw that it was pretty worn, and that may have had something to do with tearing the vinyl. I'll take your advice and try it again.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC